Sunday, October 19, 2008

So, Indiana

So last post (for most of you this will probably be mere moments after reading the last post, if you actually have been reading, and waiting for new posts could you leave a comment? I need a little acknowledgment) I said I would write a little more about Indiana, to fill in some of the blanks. And I totally will, I just have to mention that Erik got a job!!Which is pretty awesome for us. So thanks for all the prayers and good wishes. Now, on to Indiana.

When we lived in Indiana we lived pretty close to the ghetto. Now, some people will look at where we lived and say, "What do you mean near the ghetto, this looks like the ghetto to me!". To these people I say that you are mostly right. It was a little ghetto, but for the most part it could have been worse. I saw places where it was worse, where every other house was boarded up, but some of the boards had people sized holes in them, for homeless people, or they were drug traps or whatever. Or places where the parks were over grown because kids didn't play there. So by that measure where we lived was pretty nice. What put it over the top though was our neighbors.

Specifically one neighbor, Jimmy. Jimmy was the nicest guy you could ever meet. For example, there were some college kids who lived next to him, and he would drop by their place to make sure they had enough to eat, and if they didn't, he would give them dinner. He lent his vacuum to every family in the building who needed it. When we moved out and were getting rid of some of our stuff, including an old twin sized bed he knew exactly who needed one, and he helped to move out the old mattress and move in the new. When my niece visited, she was immediately family as well. Completely the epitome of a neighbor. I actually feel a little guilty as I am writing this, because I haven't spoken to him since we moved away. I keep meaning to call him but unfortunately I haven't.

I'm not as good a neighbor as him.

No comments: