Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Oh For Pete's Sake!

This is kind of a 2 parter, ever since I gave it that title. The First part ( the original part) was going to be a pet peeve of mine (because I know you are totally interested in my every thought, mood change and just the general goings on) so here goes: This week it's those STUPID talking ads you find on some sites <coughcoughMySpacecoughcough>. The ones where if you move your mouse into it's area it YELLS at you, because now your emoticons can talk! YAY they can say banal things like "He say WHAT?" and "Awww shucks" and "Oh no he dih'ih". Actually I don't know what they say, but I am sure it is irritating, and rest assured(all my IM buddies) that I will never plague you with talking emoticons.

The second part is kind of another pet peeve mixed with a memory. The pet peeve is one that applies to me, in that I do this and I am kind of embarassed. It's the person who repeats the joke 4956759 times because you laughed once. I do this. I don't do it so often, now that I have realized how irritating I am when I do. The first time I really overused something was with a friend in high school, and middle school I guess. When we were in like 8th grade together I was sitting nearby when someone said to someone else " Oh for Pete's sake" and I said, "Yeah do it for Pete!" She (the original sayer) laughed and repeated my little funny. Cut to 3 years later when I was still doing it. Only without the lead in line of "Oh for Pete's sake" I would simply say (only to Erin, who sort of started it all with her exhortations)"C'mon, do it for Pete"still hoping for a laugh. I have heard others do it from time to time like the guy who kept repeating something about bacon because he thought, no, wait, he KNEW, that if we heard his joke we would all laugh uproariously. Only he stopped after about 5 minutes. My pet peeve is when it goes on for much longer. Like the way I dragged it out for years. But don't worry. I made up for it eventually by buying Erin a lot of muffins. And they were good muffins too.

No comments: