Tuesday, December 13, 2005

People Are Weird.

Music: The Beatles- For No One.

So I am pretty sure people are weird. Not weird like eating worms, or wearing underwear outside their clothes, but weird as in normal doesn't exist and people are always on different pages from one another. Not every person is different from every other person, but person may be totally different from persons 2, 3, 4 5, 7, 8, and 9, and be very similar to person 6. I do have a point here so stick with me. This is probably why people find friends in such odd places, have friendships that wax and wane, and realize they love someone who is totally unlike anything they (or anyone else) ever thought they would want.
I kind of say this thanks to MySpace.com. I have an account and it has been pretty cool for finding people I was friends with in high school. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I really think we have the friends we do in high school for a reason. Not that finding lifelong friendship or love there is unheard of and totally out of this world, but that it maybe is one in a million.
I totally like/love all the friends I had in high school. The memories that I made during that time in my life will always have a special place in my heart but we do get older. Things that weren't important to us at that point have become life-and-death matters and things we didn't think we could live without as teenagers suddenly seem extraneous. I'm not saying that even though we are 4 years older (and counting!) we could never be friends again, but maybe more that we don't need to be friends anymore. We don't need each other the way we once did, we aren't being thrown together sort of against our will. In the interceding years we have changed for the better or for the worse, it doesn’t matter. It happened. And it will keep happening. We will keep meeting new people and making new friends. We will keep running into the people from our past and renewing friendships. It's not good or bad. It just is.
So I guess my point is that even though you knew this person, and you were best friends, and cried on each other's shoulders and laughed at the dorky kid who wore a suit everyday and went to parties and graduation and pep rallies and laughed at the cheerleader being off tempo, you maybe don’t know them anymore. You don't know what they've been through, what they are going through. All you have is this image of what they were, how you remember them and maybe this wasn't even their true self. Maybe this was just an image they projected, or maybe it was just a phase. OR maybe that was their true self, but you've changed. It's okay. No one expects you to stay the same for ever and ever. It is our right to change and grow and mature. Don't hold it against them, and don't hold it against yourself.


Music: Don't Stop Believing- Journey.

No comments: